Christmas Fire Safety Tips
A Word from the Montrose Fire Department
The Holiday season is upon us. This is a time of joy but there is also an element of danger. To keep your holiday season joyful, Please take a few moments to discuss important safety issues.
Christmas along with Hanukkah is undoubtedly the highlight of the holiday season, Gatherings of people, food, drink fancy clothing, candles, decorations and fireplaces are all part of these events.
New Year’s comes right around the corner and we are all exhausted. The issue of our personal and loved ones safety tends to take a back seat to all of this celebration. Holiday safety should be part of our planning when preparing for these festive days. Below are a few suggestions to make your holiday season remembered for its joyfulness and not for its tragedy.
A Few Suggestions
- Be sure to test your smoke detectors.
- Clean the oven and stove prior to the holiday. Often the extra load on these appliances causes a fire due to the high use and extra grease build-up.
- Keep kitchen clutter away from the stove and oven.
- Be extra careful with matches and candles. Candles should be made of flame retardant materials – look for a label stating such.
- Avoid loose, flammable clothing. Clothing often catches on fire around candles, matches, fireplaces and stoves (both electric and gas).
- Keep decorations away from sources of heat such as open flames, electric heaters and exposed electric bulbs.
- Don’t overload electric outlets. Inspect electrical cords and light sets. If in doubt – throw them out.
- Keep your Christmas tree in a sturdy base filled with water and check the water level daily.
- Spraying the Christmas tree with a flame retardant is always a good idea.
- Make a fresh cut on the trunk of your tree and place in a sturdy holder.
- Place the tree away from heat sources, such as fireplaces and heaters.
- Do not use candles on or near the tree.
- Safely dispose of your tree before it becomes dangerously dry, however never burn tree or tree parts in your fireplace.
- Purchase only UL approved lights.
- Check all indoor and outdoor lights for frayed cords, replace if necessary.
- Never use lights that have an empty socket.
- Lights should not touch combustible materials.
- Use only outdoor lights for “outdoors”
- Turn off all Christmas lights, prior to leaving your home or going to bed.
- Mini lights are safest because they produce less heat.
- Avoid using extension cords, but if you do follow instructions carefully.
- Do not overload electrical circuits, such as wall outlets and extension cords, use a circuit strip.
- Keep combustible materials away from heat sources.
- Never burn wrappings in your fireplace.
Brochures and More Information
The Montrose Fire Department brochures and other safety related information. We would like to hear from you if you have questions or concerns about Christmas Fire Safety or any other fire safety matters. Every home should have an operating fire extinguisher and smoke detector.
From our family to your family, wishing you a happy and safe holiday season.